Let's talk Kitanofuji Katsuaki.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/2hqrg5/lets_talk_kitanofuji_katsuaki/

勝昭は外人の相撲ヲタから嫌われてるんだな

For new watchers, ex-Kitanofuji (real name Takezawa Katsuaki) is one of the revolving retired rikishi who do color commentary on the NHK broadcasts.

I'm a bit surprised he's given such a prominent role as a broadcaster since his goal seems to be to shit on everything about modern sumo.
Even as we were enjoying Hakuho's 31st yuushou yesterday, Kitanofuji is grumbling about how it wasn't a very entertaining basho because so many rikishi were out injured.
And how Ichinojou saved the basho, but that he really only did so because the level of competition is so low.

He reminds me of old school baseball broadcasters who can't keep up with changes in the game, and who can't help but naysay anything new and offer empty criticisms.
Kitanofuji complained that there are so many injuries in sumo nowadays because the rikishi just don't train to prevent them. Maybe this is true, but I highly doubt it.

When almost all of your criticisms start out with, "Well, in my day..." you probably don't have much to contribute.

TLDR: Kitanofuji is a geezer and is a huge bummer to listen to when you're trying to enjoy sumo. Someone needs to cut his mic cord so he can gracefully retire.